[Xcb] XCB wiki moving to ikiwiki

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Dec 8 01:45:06 PST 2006

I'm a Moin, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Just a heads-up: we plan to move the XCB wiki from Moin to ikiwiki
<http://ikiwiki.kitenet.net/> in the near future.  We've built various
tools to do this migration while preserving full history and accurately
translating Moin markup to the Markdown syntax
<http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/> that ikiwiki uses.

We believe that ikiwiki gives us several major advantages, including:

- A real revision control system holding the data; specifically, a Git
  repository.  Edits can happen either via an ikiwiki CGI script or by
  pushing commits to the repository.  And unlike Moin, Git never throws
  away history.

- Easy creation of nice newsfeeds, and optionally blogs.

- A much simpler wiki syntax based on standard e-mail conventions.  For
  example, this email is a valid Markdown document.

- A large and growing set of available plugins, and a decent base for
  writing more.  <http://ikiwiki.kitenet.net/plugins.html>

- Completely static pages on the web server.  ikiwiki serves as a wiki
  compiler, transforming the wiki repository into a tree of static
  content.  Apart from the page-editing CGI, no specialized code needs
  to run on the server.

-- Jamey and Josh