[Xcb] xcb with BSD make and on DragonFly

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Tue Mar 7 23:11:49 PST 2006

Hi Jeremy! Er... other Jeremy? If I get you mixed up with Jeremy Kolb at
some point I hope you'll both forgive me. :-)

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 09:53:21PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> 1) Will released versions of xcb source require [xsltproc]? (I haven't looked yet,
> but didn't see discussion on wiki or INSTALL.)

Is xsltproc specifically a problem, or are you concerned about the use
of XSLT generally? We would gladly take patches if it doesn't work on
other XSLT processors. We've also discussed replacing the XSLT with some
python. This is Josh's area, though, so hopefully he'll comment.

Usual free software rules apply, of course: if you submit a patch
there's a much higher chance XCB will wind up the way you want it. :-)

> The line is:
>
> vpath %.xml $(XCBPROTO_XCBINCLUDEDIR) $(XCBPROTO_XCBINCLUDEDIR)/extensions
>
> Also NetBSD's make doesn't like it either.

Oh, phooey. Yes, that is specific to GNU make: I used it a long time ago
on the theory that when someone cares they can fix it...

> As a workaround, I used gmake. Please consider allowing the native BSD
> make to work as it appears to do for rest of Xorg.

I'd love to have the makefiles (and everything else in XCB) be more
portable. I don't have time to figure out what to do with it at present,
but I've created bug #6182 to track this issue and if you or anyone else
comes up with a fix I'll be happy to commit it.

> 3) Building fails with:
>
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/select.h:41,
>                  from xcb_util.c:29:
> /usr/include/sys/event.h:54: error: syntax error before "uintptr_t"
> /usr/include/sys/event.h:56: error: syntax error before "u_short"
> In file included from xcb_util.c:29:
> /usr/include/sys/select.h:49: error: syntax error before "pid_t"
> In file included from xcb_util.c:30:
> /usr/include/sys/socket.h:206: error: `int64_t' undeclared here (not in a
> function)

I have to say this looks like a buggy select.h to me: header files
should #include whatever they need, and this one apparently doesn't. But
I think your fix is harmless, so I'll commit it.

> 4) Next build problem:
>
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/uio.h:41,
>                  from xcb.h:32,
>                  from xcbext.h:31,
>                  from xproto.c:7:
> /usr/include/sys/malloc.h:118: error: syntax error before "__int64_t"
> /usr/include/sys/malloc.h:120: error: syntax error before "__uint32_t"
> /usr/include/sys/malloc.h:122: error: syntax error before "__uint16_t"
> /usr/include/sys/malloc.h:167: error: syntax error before "__int16_t"
> In file included from xcb.h:32,
>                  from xcbext.h:31,
>                  from xproto.c:7:
> /usr/include/sys/uio.h:49: error: syntax error before "size_t"

This really bugs me, for the same reason as above. I'll commit your fix,
but I'm not happy about it.

> 5) There were various warnings, such as:
>
> xcb_util.c:101: warning: `XCBOpenTCP' is deprecated (declared at
> xcb.h:156)

Those deprecation warnings are expected and I should get around to
fixing them sometime. I've filed bug #6183 to track that: thanks for
reminding me.

> xproto.c: In function `XCBCreateWindow':
> xproto.c:66: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
> xproto.c: In function `XCBChangeWindowAttributes':
> xproto.c:98: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
> xproto.c: In function `XCBGetWindowAttributes':
> xproto.c:127: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
> extensions/xvmc.c:452: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
> extensions/xvmc.c: In function `XCBXvMCListSubpictureTypes':
> extensions/xvmc.c:479: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
>
> (I didn't look at this in source.)

Solaris and Linux disagree about the definition of 'struct iovec'.
Apparently your OS disagrees with both. Perhaps iov_base is declared as
(char *)?

Could you mail me the definition of struct iovec from your sys/uio.h?

> The modular xorg wiki needs to be updated about the parts that need to be
> retrieved via git and their dependencies like xcb and xcb-proto. And also
> build.sh needs to be fixed for this also.

That's true... I think. I'm not sure when it makes sense to switch those
over to XCB.

> Thank you for maintaining xcb and thank you for your good work on the X11
> system!

Thanks for your thanks :-) and, probably more importantly, for your
feedback.

--Jamey