[Xcb] Wiki spring cleaning

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon May 1 13:12:29 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 11:59:49AM -0700, Ian Osgood wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, Jamey!  Revised structure:

This looks perfect to me.

> On May 1, 2006, at 11:18 AM, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > I'm tempted to drop the word "XCB" from most of the page titles, ...
>
> Right, that's a leftover from being embedded in the freedesktop.org
> wiki.

Yup.

> OK, the final sentence becomes:
>
> The XCB project has a long [History], during which it produced many
> academic [Publications].

Heh. I love it. But "it produced" -> "it has produced" or something:
"I'm not dead yet!"

> OK, the first sentence becomes:
>
> The X protocol C-language Binding (XCB) is a replacement for Xlib
> [:Features: featuring] a small footprint, latency hiding, direct access
> to the protocol, improved threading support, and extensibility.

The front page will be so beautiful... I think I'm going to cry.

> The Features page would also be a natural place to put the stats
> comparing XCB vs. Xlib sizes, latencies, etc.

Yeah. I'm thinking of it as sort of our advertising page.

> > It's really a shame gitweb doesn't have cvsweb's *checkout*
> > feature. We should probably either put up a checkout of the tutorial
> > (and the doxygen documentation?) at xcb.freedesktop.org, or point at
> > Vincent's copy if he's keeping it up to date there.
>
> I like that idea! Someone want to write a script to monitor the git
> repository and automatically copy the tutorial pages to the right
> place?

Since Carl is hacking on gitweb, maybe we can put this off a little
longer and fetch straight out of the repository after all.

The doxygen bits also should change infrequently enough that we can
hand-update them, but we should make sure to get them posted at some
point.

--Jamey