[Xcb] beginning (was: Xlib: [X]BlackPixel() )

Florent Monnier fmonnier at linux-nantes.fr.eu.org
Thu May 4 12:40:56 PDT 2006

> > I'm a beginner and I hope this is the good place for this question (if
> > not please tell me).
..
> This is not the right place for this question, as it isn't related to
> XCB. (XCB is an Xlib replacement.)

Oops, I thought that Xcb was the equivalent of Xlib for Xorg.

I am a very early beginner with X use.
I have seen that there are two main X servers XFree86 and Xorg.
I don't know a lot about the differences between these, could you advice me
links to understand the state with the different servers?
Does is make a difference for the x-client which one is used?

I seems that on my Mandriva it is Xorg, and in /usr/include/X11/
there are headers for the Xlib (mainly 'Xlib.h').

So I've started to play with <X11/Xlib.h>
Do you think that begin with XCB would be better?
What are the difference?
Is XCB compatible with any X server?

>                                    I don't know where to suggest though.

On the XFree86 website I've picked a mailing list (which I didn't know if it
was the good place to begin with the Xlib too), it seems it's possible to ask
questions related to the xlib there (i'm not sure though).

Is the Xlib a part of an X server?
Or is it a package independant of any particular X server?

Is Xcb specifically advised to make clients for the Xorg server?

So many questions :-)
maybe a FAQ somewhere ?  (I've started to read docs on wikipedia)

> > What is the difference between BlackPixel() and XBlackPixel() ?
..
> The answer to your question, anyway, is that XBlackPixel is a function
> that invokes the BlackPixel macro. From libX11/src/Macros.c:
>
> unsigned long XBlackPixel(dpy, scr)
>     Display *dpy; int scr;
>         {       return (BlackPixel(dpy, scr)); }

thanks