[Xcb] Proposal to re-encapsulate xcb_generate_id()

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Nov 10 11:50:58 PST 2006

Hi Ian!

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 08:58:07AM -0800, Ian Osgood wrote:
> The description would add an an optional boolean attribute to the XID
> parameter to be generated, turning it from an "in" to an "out"
> parameter.

Note that this is an API/ABI break, with everything that goes with that
(giving up on Xlib/XCB in X.org 7.2, scrapping the current 1.0 release
cycle...) so I'd need some really incredibly good reasons for it.

Besides ABI incompatibility, the big disadvantage is this interface
prevents direct access to the protocol. I think that alone is enough
reason not to make this change.

However, I'm entirely in favor of making the XML change you suggest.
Documenting more of the protocol semantics is always good, and someone
could then use the XML to generate a wrapper library that has the
interface you suggest.

> * xcb_generate_id() can be moved back into xcbext.h

Why do I care which public header xcb_generate_id appears in? Or, put
another way: You seem to have a different idea than I do about what
these headers are for. I'm not sure my idea is right. Let's have a round
of Socratic dialectic and synthesize a better idea, or at least better
documentation.

--Jamey

p.s. From reading Wikipedia, it sounds like Socrates always proved his
position right and the other fellow's wrong, which was not quite my
understanding of what dialectic was for. Anyway, I'm no Socrates.