[Xcb] new library for pthread stub functions

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò flameeyes at gentoo.org
Wed Nov 22 09:18:17 PST 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 11:53, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> Bart points out that I could just have suppressed gcc's warning about
> unused static functions.
I agree with him.

> The source here is essentially Diego's patch turned into it's own
> autotooled blob... plus magic. (BTW, Diego, I think I've addressed my
> own concerns now. But you should test that the above repo works for
> you.)
I'll try to test this tonight or at worse tomorrow, my FreeBSD box with Xorg
merged has CMOS problems (and I'm not going to build it for the SPARC yet),
so I need to find a replacement battery before.

> This means you can have an unconditional pkg-config dependency on
> 'pthread-stubs', and it will be a no-op in your compile flags if you
> don't need any stubs. It should generate a shared library if one is
> needed, however, and provide correct linker flags in the pkg-config file.
This is cool, and would easily replace the hack in Xlib, and mesa, without
code duplication, and without a lot of tests.

> Another open question is, does a package with 141 lines of source code
> that compiles to a few bytes really need a 300kB gzipped dist tarball?
> It's just possible that autoconf might not be a win here.
Maybe, but not sure what would be better suited :/

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...