[Xcb] check for xproto

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Nov 24 15:53:30 PST 2006

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Jamey Sharp wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 11:12:45AM -0600, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > configure.ac for libxcb should also check for xproto with
> > PKG_CHECK_MODULES.
> >
> > Building libxcb uses Xauth.h which uses Xfuncproto.h and Xfuncs.h.
> >
> > Or it should depend on a xau or xdmcp that depend on xproto via their
> > pkg-config files.
>
> ...But it *does* require xau, and checks for xdmcp.
>
> ?

My xau.pc was too old (from xlibs). Sorry for the false report.

The xau.pc I used did not have "Requires: xproto". (If a newer one does
then maybe configure.ac should depend on that.)

I see my xdmcp.pc does have "Requires: xproto" but for my builds I use
symlinks for my pkgconfig, headers and libraries (which makes it great for
testing builds) and xdmcp.pc was not used. The configure didn't fail:

configure:21054: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "xdmcp"
gnome-config: not found
Package xdmcp was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xdmcp.pc'
No package 'xdmcp' found
configure:21057: $? = 1
configure:21072: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "xdmcp"
gnome-config: not found
Package xdmcp was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xdmcp.pc'
No package 'xdmcp' found
configure:21075: $? = 1
Package xdmcp was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xdmcp.pc'
No package 'xdmcp' found
configure:21103: result: no
configure:21105: result: no

So xdmcp was not required.

xau.pc didn't mention "Requires: xproto.pc".

So the libxcb build failed due to missing Xfuncproto.h and Xfuncs.h.

Hmmm.. But I do see correct xau.pc.in in git. My libXau is very old
(from xlibs). I haven't had any PKG_CHECK_MODULES force newer version of
libXau, so I never noticed this before.

So ignore this request. I will update my libXau on this system. :)

Or you can check for xau >= 1.0