[Xcb] Working on RandR 1.2 proto

Ian Osgood iano at quirkster.com
Tue Nov 28 11:47:11 PST 2006

OK, I've hit the first XSLT limitation.

RandR 1.2 defines one new event ("Notify") which has three subCodes
(specified using the CARD8 hole between event type and sequence
number). Unfortunately, the remainder of the event structure is
completely different between these three subcodes. Currently, our
XSLT doesn't allow us to overload event numbers with different event
structures like this.

Is this a useful enough pattern in extensions for us to extend our
XML descriptions with an optional subcode?  Like so:

   <event name="CrtcChangeNotify" number="1" subcode="0">
     <!-- subcode is specified, so no need to delcare or pad the
CARD8 hole -->
   </event>

   <event name="OutputChangeNotify" number="1" subcode="1">
   </event>

   <event name="OutputPropertyNotify" number="1" subcode="2">
   </event>

Or should we ask Keith to use standard event numbering, introducing
three new events instead of one event with three subcodes?

Reference (events are at the bottom):
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/proto/
randrproto.git;a=blob;f=randrproto.h

Ian