[Xcb] Working on RandR 1.2 proto

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Nov 29 12:14:51 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 11:41:11AM -0800, Ian Osgood wrote:
> I've attached the 1.2 version of randr.xml (I didn't bother with a
> diff since it is mostly new and the 1.2 sections are marked. Please
> review, especially the requests marked TODO and FIXME. I haven't
> built the randr 1.2 server, so this is totally untested.

I've reviewed, but not only have I not built a randr 1.2 server -- I
haven't read the binary encoding spec or randrproto.h. So there
certainly could be errors I haven't caught either. :-)

> (Annoyance: it would be nice to be able to 'make install randr.xml'
> so you didn't need to rebuild the whole shebang when one extension
> changes. Or have a target which only copies newer XML files into the
> destination.)

People have scripts lying around that wrap the 'install' command to
check whether the file being installed is actually different, as well as
instructions on integrating such into your autotools environment. You
might look around.

Of course what I really want is to be able to build extensions outside
of the libxcb tree; see bug #6685.

> I'm seeing lots of discrepancies between randrproto.h and
> randrproto.txt. Is it too early to be working on this?

Probably. :-) I think the spec is still evolving, as Keith tries to
implement it.

> P.S. Way cool that MPX was prototyped using XCB! Five years of
> effort... validated!

Yeah, I'm pleased. :-)

So I don't have any corrections, just comments on your comments. :-)

> 	<!-- TODO: verify correct use of <list> -->
> 	<!-- FIXME: can't use list: ModeInfo is variable length due to name_len -->

Actually, this is just fine in replies. We generate correct code to
iterate over each variable-length ModeInfo and then find the start of
the next list. It's only in requests that we don't have an automatic way
of doing this.

> 	<!-- TODO: verify correct use of <list> w/o fieldref -->
> 			<list type="INT32" name="validValues" />

Looks right to me.

> 	<!-- BUG: randrproto.h has too little padding -->

That's probably worth mentioning to Keith.

> 	<!-- TODO: verify correct use of list -->
> 	<!-- FIXME: num_items depends on format (8/16/32) -->

Yeah, we kinda suck at dealing with property-style requests. But it
looks to me like you've done about as well as we can right now.

--Jamey

p.s. For several years I've wanted tools to compare an XCB description
to an Xlib proto header file or a conventionally-formatted binary
encoding document. Anyone interested in trying such a thing? :-)