[Xcb] Working on RandR 1.2 proto

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Nov 29 12:24:28 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 11:41 -0800, Ian Osgood wrote:
> I've attached the 1.2 version of randr.xml (I didn't bother with a
> diff since it is mostly new and the 1.2 sections are marked. Please
> review, especially the requests marked TODO and FIXME. I haven't
> built the randr 1.2 server, so this is totally untested.
>
> (Annoyance: it would be nice to be able to 'make install randr.xml'
> so you didn't need to rebuild the whole shebang when one extension
> changes. Or have a target which only copies newer XML files into the
> destination.)
>
> I'm seeing lots of discrepancies between randrproto.h and
> randrproto.txt. Is it too early to be working on this? Of course, I'm
> using the code as the final arbiter but there are still many
> unanswered questions, especially since many of the new libXrandr
> methods are unimplemented. I also noted requests where randrproto.h
> looks wrong (BUG).

Thanks for catching the errors; can you verify that
QueryOutputPropertyReply and GetCrtcGammaSizeReply were the only two
errors you found in randrproto.h?

Btw, it's not too early to be working on this, we've frozen the protocol
and have released randrproto 1.2.0. As far as we know, aside from bugs,
the protocol is done. Most of it is even implemented on both sides of
the wire; the remaining pieces were copied from other extensions so we
don't anticipate any significant issues with them, but will be working
to complete the implementation shortly. (yeah, I know, I've done this
before with Render, but I'm trying to finish it up faster this time)

keith.packard at intel.com