[Xcb] Build question

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Thu Oct 12 02:42:33 PDT 2006

Ian Osgood wrote:
> I notice that most of the intermediate object files built for XCB
> tests and demos have the name doubled (dpms-dpms.o, for example). Is
> this standard for autotooled projects?

Jamey and I answered this question for Ian at an in-person meeting, but
for the benefit of other people on the list I want to provide the answer
via email as well:

Because the XCB demos each include their own CFLAGS, automake must build
each object file with the name $targetname-$objectname, in case any
objects became part of more than one target with different CFLAGS.  For
example, we share reply_formats.o between hypnomoire and xcb-test, and
thus we end up with hypnomoire-reply_formats.o and xcb_test-reply_formats.o.

- Josh Triplett