[Xcb] Let's hash this out

Jeremy Kolb jkolb at brandeis.edu
Tue Oct 31 19:08:37 PST 2006

Jamey Sharp wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 09:14:30PM -0500, Jeremy Kolb wrote:
>> Ian Osgood wrote:
>
> OK!

> Josh has declared (possibly not in public, but declared nonetheless)
> that the protocol description XML is not frozen and is subject to
> change. It's certainly true that the more people use it, the harder it
> is to make changes, but I'm not too worried about that right now: the
> audience for the XML is currently very small and will probably remain
> that way for a while.
>
> So try stuff, and we'll see what happens.

Sweet.

> We decided on Doxygen for the C-language headers. We didn't decide that
> Doxygen tags should go in the XML.

I was assuming that they wouldn't, but if we want them we could
certainly go that route.

>>> Someone is finally tackling docbook generation for the legacy
>>> documentation. I'm tempted to wait and see how that effort is received
>>> before introducing our own incompatible documentation. But I'm not the
>>> one with itchy fingers.  :)
>> Who's doing that?
>
> Looks like Eamon Walsh <ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov> and David Nusinow
> <dnusinow at speakeasy.net> both started working on it independently;
> they've been discussing the project on the xorg list, under the
> less-than-obvious subject of "[Fwd: macros: Changes to 'master']".

Ahh! I didn't bother to read those because the subject line wasn't that
interesting.  Maybe we should pool our resources or at least inquire?

>> We still need a way to generate man pages and other docs though.
>
> There exist translators from DocBook to manual pages and many other
> formats (info pages, PDF, LaTeX, HTML, and others). See xmlto, for
> instance:
> 	http://cyberelk.net/tim/xmlto/
>
> My preference, which I've stated before, is to put DocBook fragments
> into the XML, and then generate Doxygen tags if desired from that.
> 	http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2005-June/000862.html

Jamey, can you give an example of what this would look like? I'm not
that familiar with docbook.

> But again, if you want to hardcode some Doxygen tags for now, that
> wouldn't be the end of the world. I just think you'll find it as easy to
> use basic DocBook tags and write a little XSLT to translate to Doxygen
> though.

>>> I like using tags rather than attributes for bulk text like this.
>
> I agree.

> I like the Doxygen javadoc-style auto-brief mode, where the first
> sentence of the long description is used as the brief description. That
> lets us avoid providing both.

That still wouldn't get us past the individual fields in the requests
though.

> That would certainly be a start. As I've said before, machine readable
> conditions would be even better, if they're possible.

>>> For versioning, are you thinking that we would tag requests, fields,
>>> enums, items, structs, etc. with the major/minor versions when they were
>>> introduced/retired?
>> Yeah... for docs and api.
>
> It seems like a good idea, though I still haven't figured out what the
> tags/attributes should look like. How much sophistication do we need?

Well... in dga (which i never released because it's so horribly broken
and nothing really uses it) they have a version 1 and 2 where almost
everything has undergone a name or wire change.  I've seen a few others
where fields have been added in the middle of requests etc.  So we need
at least a "first appearing", "last appearing in" etc and some way to
differentiate them in the code... I'm not sure of the best way to do that...

Jeremy