[Xcb] XCB naming conventions

Vincent Torri vtorri at univ-evry.fr
Wed Sep 13 12:25:15 PDT 2006

I agree that we ask for a big modification 2 days before the release, but
I think that it is really important.

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Jamey Sharp wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 02:19:05PM -0400, Jeremy A. Kolb wrote:
>> xcb_window_new
>> xcb_glx_create_context.
>
> I love this. But I still want to release on Friday, and I kind of hate
> to break everyone's code just before release. Of course, we're not going
> to break it afterwards, so now is the time if it's going to happen.
>
>> XcbWindow
>> XcbGlxContext
>
> I don't love this quite as much. I'd be OK with following Cairo's
> example of xcb_window_t or something.

i'm also happy with that. It's also used in ither projects that I know.

> This should let us eliminate the distinction between *Rep, which is a
> type, and *Reply, which is a function -- using *_reply_t and *_reply
> would be nice. If there are more abbreviations in the auto-generated
> names, we should eliminate those too: for example, *Req would become
> *_request_t.

indeed.

> Thoughts on CARD8 etc.? It would be good if we were using a different
> name than Xlib uses: the current hack to make that work is painful.

using the same names than the C99 types is good too (or close to)
int8, uint8, etc...
I don't think that the '_t' of the C types is usefull.

maybe we can use something like glib, and adding an 'x' prefix : xint8,
xuint8, etc...

>> We think this would be much easier to read.  What's everyone think?  This
>> would require changes to ecore/x11/mesa/xcb-utils etc. But nothing a good
>> sed script wouldn't be able to handle.
>
> If we have a prototype source conversion tool by, say, about 8am UTC
> tomorrow, then I'd seriously consider this proposal.
>
> I also want feedback from others on how awful this mechanical change to
> the API is for them though.

For me, there is no problem. I can change evas and ecore. And in 1 day, we
can modify xcb-utils et xcb-demo. And if a (perl, sed ,etc..)script can be
written to change that automatically, it will be even simpler.

Do you think that Josh can handle that in time ? He is our xsl master, so
he is the one that will do that quickly.

Vincent