[Xcb] XCB naming conventions

Jeremy A. Kolb jkolb at brandeis.edu
Wed Sep 13 12:49:30 PDT 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Jamey Sharp wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 09:25:15PM +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > >Thoughts on CARD8 etc.? It would be good if we were using a different
> > >name than Xlib uses: the current hack to make that work is painful.
> >
> > using the same names than the C99 types is good too (or close to)
> > int8, uint8, etc...
> > I don't think that the '_t' of the C types is usefull.
>
> There's no reason to pick names almost but not quite exactly like C99:
> if we're going to do that we should just use the C99 names. So I guess
> the question is whether folks have arguments in favor of using names
> derived from the protocol specification. My only argument is that XCB's
> API ought to be largely "guessable" from reading the protocol
> specification. Switching to C99 names probably doesn't violate that,
> though.

Since one of the goals of the project is to eventually become THE PLACE
for looking up the x11 protocol we probably want to stick with the use of
card/int etc. types instead of the c99 intrinsics, but I guess it really
doesn't matter.

> > >I also want feedback from others on how awful this mechanical change to
> > >the API is for them though.
> >
> > For me, there is no problem. I can change evas and ecore. And in 1 day, we
> > can modify xcb-utils et xcb-demo. And if a (perl, sed ,etc..)script can be
> > written to change that automatically, it will be even simpler.
>
> You're one of the proposers: I wasn't asking you. ;-)
>
> > Do you think that Josh can handle that in time ? He is our xsl master, so
> > he is the one that will do that quickly.
>
> Josh is very busy: he's working full-time at IBM at the moment, and we
> need him in other projects around here too. :-)
>
> I'd like to see the proponents of this idea have a go at hacking the XSL
> first. You don't have to get it perfect, but get the work started.
>
> --Jamey

I don't know xsl but I guess I could poke a bit if it's not that hard.

Jeremy