[Xcb] naming convention (finished)

Ian Osgood iano at quirkster.com
Sun Sep 17 13:03:55 PDT 2006

Thanks for doing this work, Vincent and Bernardo!

On Sep 17, 2006, at 2:38 AM, Vincent Torri wrote:

> Hey,
>
> die, camel case, die !
>
> I have finally beaten that xsl stylesheet. It does compile without
> warning. Some remarks:
>
> 1) we must change the name of XCBButton and XCBHost in xproto.xml,
> otherwise, the compilation will fail.

xcb_button_index and xcb_host_mode were my suggestions.

> 2) we should change the name of XCBSetupReq in xproto.xml to
> XCBSetupRequest, imho.

I agree.

> 3) for defines and enum values, instead of TotoTata, I use TOTO_TATA.

At first I was against this, but I notice that cairo follows this
convention as well.

> 4) Because of their name in xproto.xml, some enum values are not
> very good, like XCB_CWBACK_PIXEL. Maybe we should change the name
> so that we obtain XCB_CW_BACK_PIXEL. It's easy to do in xproto.xml
> (changing CW to Cw).

Agreed. Josh should look at this; I think we should be able to handle
it programatically.

Also XIDRange to xid_range instead of xidrange.

> 5) the xsl stylesheet file is now a bit ugly. I'm sure that Josh
> will be able to clean it a bit later ;)
>
> 6) I've tried to look at the code, to see if there are some
> problems. I didn't see any, but I would like that more people see
> if there are problems in the output code.
>
> 7) I've also changed the naming convention of the xcb api. I think
> that it's better to have a consistent scheme.

I suggest converting BYTE to uint8_t, and possibly do the same for BOOL.

Do we actually need <type name="XID" newname="xid" />? I don't see
any XID types remaining in the protocol files. I think XID was an
Xlib client-only type that we got rid of in XCB.

Symbols mentioned in the comments also need to be converted.

In xcb_in.c, XCBReply and XCBError should be changed to XCB_REPLY and
XCB_ERROR. Possibly move them to xcbint.h.

The exported symbols in xcbxlib.c should also be converted, and
libX11/src/xcl/*.c should be adapted to the new names.

What does everyone else think about switching the prefix from "xcb_"
to simply "x_" as Bernardo suggested?