[Xcb] naming convention (finished)

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Sep 19 21:58:47 PDT 2006

In message <20060919170526.GA8846 at id.minilop.net> you wrote:
> We could add a BAD prefix in there, I guess. I resisted it before due to
> the mismatch with the protocol documentation, which we've sort of
> abandoned now anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, all we've abandoned in the protocol
docs is the capitalization and punctuation.

> I'll resist it a little bit still because it makes
> my API conversion tool a little harder ;-) but more importantly, what
> rule are we creating here? Do we need to namespace events as well? Does
> this rule apply elsewhere in the API?

Yes, let's not get swept away in a wave of innovation just
before the major release.  We're going to make mistakes in
XCB 1.0, but I'd prefer they be conservative mistakes of
following tried-but-not-so-true convention rather than
creative mistakes of untried-and-not-so-good-in-practice
innovations.

If the caps/punct stuff wasn't so egregious it seems to be
blocking some development, I'd have urged we leave it alone
too.

BTW, I like the proposal of xcb_ for the static part and x_
for the protocol stuff.  But I'm good with whatever folks
decide on this score.

    Bart