[Xcb] Experiences with XCB

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Sep 20 00:18:14 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 23:41 -0700, Jamey Sharp wrote:

> > The "strong typing by structs" was another annoyance, although I guess
> > my use case is nontypical, since I had to interact with the X server's
> > DIX, which uses scalars. Lots of conversions were going on.
>
> Yeah, that is a bit unusual. :-)

I'd like to suggest that instead of attempting to band-aid a fix for
lame C typechecking that we just give up and recognize that XIDs are
32-bit values (with the top three bits zero). The alternative is to
require miles of type conversion code where none should be required
(window->drawable). I suggest that of all the soures of error in an X
program, mixing objects of different types is a relatively rare
occurance, certainly not warranting this kind of pain.

keith.packard at intel.com