[Xcb] naming convention (finished)

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Sep 20 01:09:33 PDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 12:21:17AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 08:35 +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:
> > So I would vote
> > for xcb_ in all the exported functions in xcb.h, and x_ for all the
> > functions in the protocol.
>
> ACK! Please don't mix them. Pick one and stick with it. The separation
> isn't useful for users, and will only serve to force them to constantly
> refer to the docs to check which prefix is needed for each function.
>
> I'd love to use x_, and I don't know of a package already using it for
> function and type names. But, xcb_ would be safer.

If people want me to give a decision on this one, I guess I'm inclined
to listen to Keith, despite finding Bernardo, Ian, Bart, and Vincent all
convincing. And since I think the extra two characters won't hurt
anyone, let's go with the full xcb_ prefix everywhere.

Though Keith, I don't think the mixed approach would require looking at
documentation. The twenty-some functions that would have the xcb_ prefix
are all clearly special, as none of them are pure protocol-encapsulation
stubs.

--Jamey