[Xcb] GIT repo split done

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Mon Sep 25 00:51:36 PDT 2006

Josh Triplett wrote:
> Jamey and I wrote a Python script "git-split" to split a subdirectory
> out of GIT repository and rewrite history accordingly, dropping commits
> irrelevant to that subdirectory.  I've run the script against the XCB
> repo, generated six separate project repositories, and put them up on
> git.freedesktop.org.  You can check out these repositories via git or
> anongit just like the XCB repo; use the prefix
> git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xcb/ and the repo names demo.git,
> libXamine.git, proto.git, util.git, xcb.git, and xhsb.git.  Please take
> a look at these repositories via inspection and gitk, explore the
> history, and generally play around with them.

Having let this gel for a bit, and having received feedback from Ian,
we've re-done the split with the current repo to incorporate additional
recent commits, and we want to make this split permanent now.  I added
the appropriate update hooks in the new repos to update CIA and send
commit mails, and Jamey added an update hook in the old monolithic xcb
repo to prevent commits there.  Please use the new repos for new commits.

> Note that gitweb doesn't seem to know about them yet; I don't know what
> we need to do to make that happen.

We still need to fix this.

- Josh Triplett