[Xcb] [ANNOUNCE] XCB 1.0 release candidate 1 now available

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 26 02:16:58 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 23:17 -0700, Jamey Sharp wrote:

> We would greatly appreciate API review in this final release candidate
> period. We've had some limited feedback that our attempts to impose
> static type safety on XIDs in C pose more a hindrance than a help, so we
> would appreciate discussion over whether this constitutes a "serious
> issue with the API".

I know I'd like to see the XID wrapping disappear.  There are many cases
where it causes pain (window/pixmap <-> drawable, property decoding) and
I don't frankly think static checking will uncover a significant number
of bugs. One thing we could do instead is offer sparse annotations; that
surely can handle the X type system in ways that C cannot replicate.

Of course, binding X to a reasonable language needn't be constrained in
this way.

keith.packard at intel.com