[Xcb] libX11+XCB + OpenGL + Xnewt as X server fails

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Sun Dec 16 07:53:28 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 10:03:51PM -0800, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > Any hints for debugging this? (Please Cc: as I'm not subscribed :) )
> Yes, one hint. :-) Can you provide a packet log, captured with Wireshark
> or a similar tool, showing the traffic sent between the client and the
> server for a failing run of a simple GLX-using app?
>
> If we can confirm that Sun's Xnewt has the same bug that was fixed
> before X.org 6.9, then I'll ask you to test my workaround, and suggest
> that you also pester Sun to fix their X server. :-)
>
> If this is a different bug, the network trace should help in diagnosing
> it further.
Hiya

http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~pp/xnewt-glx-bug/ are pcaps of glxinfo (both
with traditional and xcb libX11)

And yes, that's a likely explanation. It's really a bastard Xorg fork from
some really warm place (Some call it Sun, others hell).

"Xnewt combines a device-independent part built from Xorg source
with a device-dependent part that knows how to talk to the
keyboard, mouse and frame buffer of a Sun Ray.".

strings says Mesa 6.2.1, no hints on what Xorg it's branched off. Probably
something around early 2005 based on the Mesa version.