[Xcb] about api changes

Jeremy A. Kolb jkolb at brandeis.edu
Tue Jul 10 09:01:45 PDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Thomas Hunger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to warm up this topic, at least for the changes which I'd like
> to introduce for sure. No. 2 would break the current API! It would be
> great if someone sees any problems/additions now. Then we would not
> need to break the API again.
>
> 1) Remove the xxx_request_t structures from the headers. They are only
>    needed internally to pack data for requests. The opcode-defines
>    could go as well. Are they useful for anything?
>
> 2) New naming conventions in structs/replies. The field-names in
>    replies and structs (e.g. nameLen-> name_len in xprint.xml). This
>    could be solved in two ways: a) apply naming filter to all names or
>    b) write them correctly in the xml files.
>
>    Solution b) has the advantage that in the case someone really needs
>    a name which is not coherent with the naming convention, she could
>    introduce it.
>
> Tom

Number 1: I like the opcode-defines, it's good for documentation and
useful when using ethereal etc.  I also like the request_t structures for
the same reason.

Number 2 is definitely needed.  I think this needs to be done in two
parts:

1. A filter on the XML so that all of the names are in the proper format.
2. The binding generator needs to transform that into whatever is
appropriate for the language.

Jeremy