[Xcb] generic events

Mon Jun 4 17:19:33 PDT 2007

Thomas Hunger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I played a little with generic events:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2007-February/002619.html
>
> Since it does not fit into the classical <event/> structure I believe
> it needs a new tag, e.g.:
>
> <genericevent name="y number="x" />
>
> What do you think?

Just as a warning: the integration of XGE into Xext uses a bit of
"magic" and I'm not sure how to build a similar functionality into xcb.

Xlib requires extensions to call XextAddDisplay. So XGE hooks into that
to register the callbacks for generic events. The extension offset is
defined there as well.

This way, an extension doesn't need to do anything and will
automatically get generic events.

But pure xcb programs at the moment wouldn't work, not until something
similar has been put into xcb. (Anybody volunteering?)

Cheers,
   Peter