[Xcb] Naming standard for X error constants

Ian Osgood iano at quirkster.com
Sun Nov 11 08:04:04 PST 2007

Jamey reverted the experimental patch to qualify error constants with
XCB_BAD_*, because some of the extensions were already doing this
work by hand, resulting in XCB_BAD_BAD_* for their errors. (I don't
know why Jamey didn't just fix the extensions.) I would like to
figure out how to qualify error constants once and for all before we
make another release.

My next proposal is to qualify errors by appending *_ERROR. Can
anyone think of a reason this would not work or otherwise be hard to
implement?

Really, I don't see how we could recommend XCB for production code
(which unlike demo code, does strict error checking) until we
finalize this. In my opinion, it is not feasible to leave the error
constants unqualified as they are.

Ian