[Xcb] state of xcb-glx

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Apr 7 09:28:46 PDT 2008

In message <5712ce4f0804070731o468511b7j175345f8427d959e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> I would like gain some knowledge about the official state of the
> xcb-glx library.

As far as I know, no one has used it for a "real"
application.

> I have done some experimentation too based on the previous
> examples using different machines and never managed to get any correct
> GL rendering, some of the time even the X server crashed.

Please file bug reports against the server for these.  They
represent potential security problems.

> So my question is, if direct rendering using xcb-glx is possible,
> would there be a chance to enhance it as a Google Summer of Code
> project? Here is a list of my thoughts about the subject:
> - debug and fix xcb-glx, to fix server crashes
> - implement the glX API over xcb-glx (AFAIK, this is done too in mesa
> for the indirect case)
> - extend the protocol description for xcb-glx to support as many GL
> extensions as possible.
> If this is not enough for a GSoC, I am open to work on related issues!

Definitely a reasonable XCB GLX project could be put
together.  You don't want to try to get away from Mesa, I
think; that would be really hard.  This sounds like plenty
of work to me.

> The GSoC application deadline is tonight, so the time
> frame is very short.

A huge understatement.  See what you can get together.

	Bart