[Xcb] Native win32 port - progress :)

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Tue Apr 8 11:09:12 PDT 2008

Jeetu Golani wrote:
> I've made progress with the win32 port of XCB.

Sounds good.

> So far I'm just testing the code by linking the object files directly with
> sample XCB programs from the XCB tutorials. Will build it into a DLL once
> it's all ready.

Just a word of warning, since you're moving towards DLLs: On Win32, the
DLL's libc has to exactly match the application's libc. No mixing debug
and release builds, no mixing static libc with dynamic libc, and no
mixing compilers[1].

The problem would be reduced in scope if we had an xcb_free() (the way
Xlib has XFree()), but the designers of xcb believe that xcb_free() is
too ugly for words. They're right, but that doesn't help us poor slobs
stuck on Win32.

You probably already knew all of this, but I thought I'd bring it up
just in case.

Peter Harris

[1] Not strictly true; I believe the MinGW/GCC compilers all use the
"VS6 Release DLL - MSVCRT.DLL", so those can be mixed. But each MS
compiler version has its own set of libcs. I'm not sure what the Intel
compilers do these days.
--
      Hummingbird Connectivity - A Division of Open Text
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.hummingbird.com