[Xcb] [RFC] XCB without use of malloc()

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Mon Jan 7 15:53:54 PST 2008

On 14:23 Sun 06 Jan     , Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> Probably you are right. I wish glibc developers would use mmap() more often
> instead of that large brk() that only keeps growing.

You can configure that. From my environment setup file:

# Use brk() rather than mmap(), which is basically a tradeoff in memory
# for better performance

#          The maximum number of chunks to allocate with `mmap'.
#          Setting this to zero disables all use of `mmap'.
MALLOC_MMAP_MAX_="0"
#          All chunks larger than this value are allocated outside the
#          normal heap, using the `mmap' system call.  This way it is
#          guaranteed that the memory for these chunks can be returned
#          to the system on `free'.  Note that requests smaller than
#          this threshold might still be allocated via `mmap'.
MALLOC_TRIM_THRESHOLD="-1"

Thanks,
Donnie