[Xcb] Few questions about the X selections

Thomas Adam thomas.adam22 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 08:42:19 PST 2008

Hello --

Don't cross-post like this.  I've removed the Cc to the xorg list,
since I am not subscribed to it.  Have more consideration next time.

On 26/01/2008, Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on my own X toolkit, and I am now facing the hard part, the ICCCM, or the "ICE Cube: the Lethal weapon....", :-)

Why are you writing your own toolkit?  Waste of time.

> Anyway, is there a tool to debug the X selections.
> Like to send the ConvertSelection with various types, see the owner of the selection, and so on...
>
> It isn't hard at all to write one, but it still takes some time.

Well, that depends.  xev and xscope might help you.

> I am only aware now of xprop/xwininfo/xlsatoms, and xdpyinfo of course.

They're deterministic after the fact.

> Besides all the information about the parts of ICCCM that are still relevant, and those that I can ignore is welcome.

All of it is relevant.  Don't go and do what the EWMH has done, and
shun bits of it.

-- Thomas Adam