[Xcb] xcb and Xt

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Jul 3 09:27:05 PDT 2008

I think it would be interesting, but I'm also not sure if
it's worth it.

Xt as it stands is pretty Xlib-integrated---a typical Xt
application makes quite a few Xlib calls.  So if you want to
support legacy apps, you probably are stuck with Xlib/XCB
indefinitely.  This is not a bad thing, necessarily, and
actually we would love to have apps that exercise and test
the Xlib/XCB mixed mode.

I think if you want to write new apps in pure XCB, though,
you'd be better off just creating a new toolkit.  I'm one of
these mutants who doesn't believe that the last word has
been written on toolkits, even in C.  Also, I think C (and
its cousin C++) is a horrible language in which to write
applications.  :-)

Let us know how we can help with whatever you decide to do.

	Bart