[Xcb] release of util package

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Wed Mar 5 13:29:40 PST 2008

In message <sa58x0xfls6.fsf at Orfeo.duckcorp.org> you wrote:
>     Vincent> Hey, I  would like to have a release  of the util/ package,
>     Vincent> just because of xcb_image improvements (big api change)
>
>     Vincent> but  I think that if  we do that,  we need to have  a fixed
>     Vincent> api.
>
> Concerning  the API,  I wonder  whether  handle_event() (event/events.c)
> could be  public (I know that  XCB developers don't like  this code, but
> well,  it's quite  useful  in  some cases  ;)).   I'm currently  porting
> awesome from Xlib to XCB and would need this because the main event loop
> also   refreshes   the  statusbar   for   example,   so   I  can't   use
> xcb_{wait,poll}_for_event_loop().  Do you think  it could be possible to
> do this in the next util/ release?

We encourage people to use threads for this kind of stuff.
We think we've made it pretty easy to do :-).  I also don't
see why xcb_poll_for_event() doesn't solve your problem?

That said, I don't have any real problem with making
xcb_handle_event() part of the API for the event library, so
I went ahead and committed a change that does this.  Enjoy
or back out.

	Bart