[Xcb] Native win32 port of XCB??

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Mar 17 21:26:29 PDT 2008

In message <f5b27cc0803172118y7c85e6aew93614afe0782c575 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> I've been working on a native win32 port of libX11...basically I want
> the ability to run X clients under windows without using an
> abstraction layer like Cygwin. In my pursuits I've come across XCB.
>
> I'm relatively new to X so forgive the noob questions :)

No prob!

> I've read mention about XCB being better than Xlib....am
> not clear how this is???

The things most relevant to you are that XCB is much smaller
and simpler than Xlib, and yet porting it should (maybe)
result in a port to Xlib simply by using the Xlib/XCB
support.

> Is there a native win32 implementation of XCB???

Not that I'm aware of.

> Would it be more fruitful (better for the long run and
> hopefully easier) to port XCB to win32 rather than going
> the Xlib way???

I think so, but it depends.  If you really need the Xlib API
(to port existing applications easily, or somesuch) then you
should only work on an XCB port if you can verify my claim
above that this would result in an automatic port of
Xlib---XCB does not provide the same API as Xlib, but Xlib
is supposed to run atop XCB.  If you can live with a new API
for what you're doing, we think the XCB one is much nicer,
and you should certainly just port XCB.

> Any help on this would be appreciated......am at a hairs
> end trying to have an X library for windows (which i hate
> by the way ;) )

Heh.  Hope this helps.

    Bart