[Xcb] Help appreciated, past and future

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Oct 15 14:45:10 PDT 2008

<jamey>In 2001, when Keith Packard and Bart Massey suggested over sushi
that I should try replacing Xlib, I didn't know I'd still be at it seven
years later. I might not have started if I'd known how hard it would be
to write a few thousand lines of source code. :-) [1]</jamey>

<josh>In Summer 2004, I took Bart Massey's Open Source Software
Development class at Portland State University, and he pointed me in the
direction of the XCB project.  I designed and implemented XML-XCB, and
in the process I got introduced to this crazy guy named Jamey with whom
I've since gotten into all kinds of mischief.  Little did I know I'd end
up co-maintaining XCB and hacking on/at Xlib.</josh>

Over the years, we've disappeared from XCB development for months at a
time. We just get swamped sometimes. But it was less of a problem before
we finally released XCB 1.0, and people began to depend on this work.
The good news is that now the XCB community is growing. While we've been
missing somewhat in recent months, others have kept the project moving.

We'd like to especially thank Julien Danjou, Eamon Walsh, and Peter
Hutterer for making needed improvements to XCB and merging other folks'
patches. You guys rock! We hope you'll review and commit future patches
posted to the mailing list too.

There are two other roles we'd like to see other people take on. First,
a simple one: become a moderator for the xcb mailing list. This needs
one or two people who can check several times a week to see if a
legitimate e-mail has been filed with all the spam. Ideally, somebody
would help the freedesktop.org admins implement more effective spam
filtering, but we'll take any help we can get here. You might also find
the package "listadmin" useful in this regard, or perhaps our
"maildirman" project.

Second, proto and libxcb need a release manager. Our release process is
documented in the DevelopersGuide on the XCB wiki, and doesn't take much
work. Mostly, you'd need to be comfortable evaluating the patches that
have been made since the last release and deciding whether it's safe to
inflict them on the world.

The two of us plan to continue hacking on XCB, working on projects such
as the new handoff code we recently posted. However, we want to
recognize the roles others have started to play in XCB's development.

- Jamey Sharp and Josh Triplett

[1] libxcb$ git ls-files 'src/*.[ch]' | xargs wc -l | tail -1
 2924 total