[Xcb] Problems receiving mapping_notify

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Aug 7 07:30:46 PDT 2009

At 1249646585 time_t, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> the solution of the problem seems to be that Xlib transparently generates
> MappingNotify events upon receival of XkbMapNotify events, see
> lib/X11/XKBUse.c:318. As XCB does not support XKB yet, this seems to be
> the problem.
>
> You can use the attached test program which uses XKB to confirm that xmodmap
> generated events will arrive here, too.
>
> So, any plans about doing the same as Xlib in this case or how do we want
> to handle this?

Congrats for founding that.

Well, IMHO, even if XCB had a XKB support, it would not solve the
problem. Xlib, in a lot of place, is doing magic stuff to ease
programmers life but it's not a raw access to the protocol like XCB.

We can still do like Xlib and convert XKB event to MappingNotify in
xcb-event for example, but since no one is supposed to use this lib if
they do not want to, they are screwed.

The good work-around is to have a XKB support in XCB and le the
application select the corresponding XKB-mapping-notify-event and deal
with it.

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou