[Xcb] Proposal: Link fields to enums in the protocol XML files

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Mon Jan 5 07:57:17 PST 2009

Barton C Massey wrote:
> I like this a lot!  Clean and simple, and doesn't break
> existing uses of the encoding.  (I thought we already had
> some way to infer this information, but I can't find it
> now...)

I was working on something similar:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2008-January/003209.html
git://repo.or.cz/xcbproto/enum.git

I was trying to do too many things at once (enum reference types, etc),
and I was inferring "mask" status from the presence of "bit" in the
enum. I think I prefer the explicit "mask" vs "enum", though.

> I can't see any downside.

I can see plenty of upside.

> Someone probably should through the rest of the protocol
> descriptions and add the relevant information.  Sounds like
> work. :-)

I'll probably start working on extensions if nobody else beats me to it.

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://www.opentext.com/connectivity