[Xcb] socket handoff problems

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 14:22:19 PST 2009

Hi Barton,

Thanks a lot for your answer and your patience.
I was/am a bit in hurry because Fosdem is ~2 weeks and it would be
great if I could solve the issue, so that I have something to show
(which doesn't block after 5s ;) ).

> I think Jamey and Josh are probably the only people who
> understand the new handoff code well enough to help you with
> this, so I've been waiting for them to respond.
Ah ok.
I don't have any posix/unix/socket background, so I was unsuccessful
figuring out what is going on :-/

It was attached, but can also be found at: http://pastebin.com/f182de215

> I'm confused.  Once you've taken over the socket, don't you
> want to do the write() yourself instead of asking xcb to do
> it with xcb_writev()?  Or is my understanding of the handoff
> process flawed?
Thats how I understand it has to be done, however I could be wrong.

>  I assume you give the socket back when
> you're done?
As far as I understood it, the socket is taken away from "me" when
another consumer wants to access it.
Probably I need to finish/flush the socket before I hand it over, I
don't know :-/

Thanks again for introducing the socket-handoff API. Its exactly what
I was looking for, and it came exactly when I needed it (even without
asking for it). Its really cool :)

Thanks a lot, Clemens