[Xcb] first steps with xcb

Rui Tiago Cação Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 02:46:39 PDT 2009

Hi Carlo

2009/3/12 Carlo Ascani <carlo.ratm at gmail.com>:
> I'm Carlo Ascani, from Italy, i have to develop a simple window manager for
> an university project.
> This window manager must respect freedesktop.org standards and i choose XCB
> to bind with Xorg.
> So where should i begin to learn how to develop a wm with XCB?
> I have seen an extension for XCB called wm... is there any documentation for
> that ???

 since XCB is really only a C interface to the X protocol (and
extensions) you should just read and understant the protocol. If you
haven't done so yet:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/doc/xorg-docs/plain/hardcopy/XProtocol/proto.PS.gz

There's a book which is quite old now (but the core protocol hasn't
changed so it's good anyway) an might give you a bigger picture than
just reading the protocol:

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565920026/

Also, for a WM, you should at least know about the ICCCM:

http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/

and maybe the EWMH:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/latest/

Finally, I've never heard of a WM specific extension, but then, I've
never written one :-)

Gook luck,
Rui