[Xcb] Does xcb really need python?

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Wed Mar 18 00:27:49 PDT 2009

In message <91705d080903161236w58b5e7aclb536279de269f1 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> Is the C platform-independent? Maybe we could add get it in dist? Just
> drop all the nodist_ from src/Makefile.am. I think that would be
> really nice to not require python while bootstrapping X.

(dropping xorg from the cc since this is an xcb topic now)

The C is supposed to be platform-independent.  The big
concern seems to be that it is generated by an interaction
between xcb/proto and xcb/libxcb .  Thus, it's really easy
for it to get stale/wrong with respect to a given
installation.

Obvious ideas include:

  * Merge proto back into libxcb.  We have them split for
    people who don't want C bindings; I'm not sure how
    bothered they'd really be by having them anyway, though.

  * Provide a separate package with just the generated C source in
    it.  This seems ugly, but it would maybe solve some
    problems for some people.

I'd be interested in what others think is the right way
here.  It seems to me that we should ship the generated C
source somehow, but I've heard a lot of pushback.

	Bart