[Xcb] Remove Python as a XCB dependency.

Vincent Torri vtorri at univ-evry.fr
Fri Mar 20 01:24:24 PDT 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Julien Danjou wrote:

> At 1237524040 time_t, Barton C Massey wrote:
>>  * It's 2009.  Python shouldn't be a dependency all that
>>    hard to satisfy in any reasonable situation.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far, except complaining that Python is
> a heavy dependency, a PITA to install on $OS or whatever, did we get a
> single bug report about the inability to install XCB on any platform?
>
> Because after all, we surely can be nice guys and look for another
> solution and/or generator than Python, but if obviously the reason is
> not technical but just "I don't want to install Python on my system
> because I dislike it", I'm just going to kill the thread as is, dot.

on which OS can xcb be run ? linux, *bsd, solaris, maybe mac os x with x11
emulation (it's almost a freebsd), and maybe Windows with the Windows
port. On all those platform, I think that python can be easily installed
(even on Windows...). That is, it's most of the OS used out there where
XCB can be useful (the main interest of XCB is for windows managers, and
maybe also the fast initialisation when running a program through an ssh
pipe) (I know that the notion of windows manager is not the same on
Windows and on X Window)

So is it useful to spend time doing another parser in another language ?

Vincent