[Xcb] [SRM] proposed upload of libxcb to lenny

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Thu May 28 01:15:29 PDT 2009

In message <1D1DCF5B-B20E-448A-8E17-189C1F68C381 at quirkster.com> you wrote:
> I think Jamey and Bart originally wanted a small value to make the
> footprint smaller on memory-limited devices.

It's probably worth noting that 4KB was a really, really
small amount of memory even 10 years ago when we started.
Now 4KB is microscopic, and only insane people running XCB
on PICs could possibly want less than 16KB for that reason.

Our small buffer size was more about reducing latency IIRC;
we felt it was more important to push packets out promptly
than to build big blocks of them to push.  It turns out we
were wrong, at least for current app usage patterns. :-)

Thanks much to those who got the buffer size ratcheted up.

	Bart