[Xcb] Whatever happened to the XCloseDisplay() hooks?

Peter Harris git at peter.is-a-geek.org
Wed Oct 14 18:31:54 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Barton C Massey wrote:
> In message <e2ed954f0910141320l88bb36fr28cd0b8b21fec603 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>> If the only choices are adding a magic xcb_aux_disconnect
>> that applications have to know to call, or adding
>> callbacks to xcb_disconnect directly, I think I'd rather
>> put them in libxcb.
>
> I'm really strongly opposed to putting callbacks in XCB
> core, actually.

Okay, fair enough.

> Cairo is built with a really simple model: if you opened it,
> you close it.  I don't think I get why having both XCB and
> xcb_render_util be built on this same model is somehow a
> design defect.
>
> But probably I'm just confused as usual.

Well, the trouble is that xcb_render_util isn't built on this model.
Reading the code, it can have many openers, but only one closer (per
connection).

Josh suggested elsethread that each library should hold its own
reference. Perhaps adding a reference count to xcb_render_util would
be a lesser evil than a callback?

Peter Harris