[Xcb] xview legacy application failure: xcb_io.c:378: _XAllocID: Assertion `ret != inval_id' failed.

Josh Triplett josh at joshtriplett.org
Tue Sep 29 10:43:25 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 09:19:54AM -0700, Chris Putnam wrote:
> I'm currently using a legacy xview application and I'm getting the following
> runtime assertion after my recent upgrade to Fedora 11.
>
> xcb_io.c:378: _XAllocID: Assertion `ret != inval_id' failed.
> Abort

Thanks for reporting this.  Can you please clarify which versions of
Xlib and XCB this occurs with?  Recent versions of Xlib/XCB have some
architectural changes that clean up the interface between Xlib and XCB,
and in the process make many similar issues go away.

So that this doesn't get lost, would you please file this at
http://bugs.freedesktop.org against Xlib (since this assertion comes
from Xlib, not XCB), and tell us the bug number so we can add
appropriate CCs?

> (I am playing around getting the application in shape to port to a non-xview
> library, but the size the application and the way it was written makes this a
> slow process and being able to compile and run refactored versions of
> the current code base is pretty important.)

Definitely.  Applications and libraries designed to work with Xlib
should *not* break.

- Josh Triplett