[Xcb] Your GSOC proposal: "Complete input support for XCB"

Christoph Reimann chrr at arcor.de
Wed Apr 7 01:37:18 PDT 2010

Hi, thank you for your fast replies & sorry for the double post yesterday!
I read the stuff concerning the Xlib functions yesterday evening (and
in fact, I "c/p" the Xlib keyboard stuff to XCB a few years ago when
we needed keyboard input in a small and never finished project) - but:
Is it really "worthwhile" to port the old Xlib bindings to XCB (AFAIR
it does not support changing the keyboard layout on-the-fly and only a
limited number of keyboard layouts anyway? And now I think about it
there were a number of further limitations with the Xlib stuff itself,
perhaps I find the code somewhere around.).
At the moment, however, I have no clue whatsoever about XKB (and it's
also some time ago that I glimpsed into Xlib/XCB code...) - can you
give me any suggestions where to start digging in in order to get a
quick and more complete overview (esp. would it make sense to read
anything XKB related at all? Or merely concentrate on XCB internals?
In the post at http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-March/006612.html
it is stated that "most of XKB" has been specified in xcb/proto - it
is necessary to finish the protocol layer first?).

Thanks & all the best

Christoph