[Xcb] Opensuse 11.2 missing xcb_xlib_lock

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Wed Apr 14 10:02:30 PDT 2010

> I would suggest in particular that you check the following:
>
> nm -D /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 | grep xcb_take_socket
> nm -D /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 | grep xcb_xlib_lock
>
> Exactly one of those should produce output, namely a line like this:
>
>                  U xcb_take_socket

xcb_take_socket is returned - so libX11.so.6 is up to date

> I'd also suggest checking "nm -D /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0".  That
> should show that the library does not define any interesting symbols,
> and in particular that it does not contain xcb_xlib_lock.  That would
> suggest an empty compatibility library, as I suggested above.

> nm -D libxcb-xlib.so.0
0000000000201000 A __bss_start
0000000000201000 A _edata
0000000000201000 A _end

> So, if as expected you have an Xlib that wants xcb_take_socket and an
> empty libxcb-xlib.so.0, then you need to track down what library or
> application does try to use xcb_xlib_lock.  For that, you can use:
>
> nm -D /path/to/application | grep xcb_xlib_lock
>

> to find out if the application tried to use that symbol directly.  You
> can also use "ldd /path/to/application" to find out the full list of
> libraries the application pulls in, and check likely culprits the same
> way.

Will do, and thanks for your advice.

John Hearns

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.