[Xcb] xcb/util-image

Arnaud Fontaine arnaud at andesi.org
Sun Dec 19 20:49:34 PST 2010

Hi,

    >> I'm about to push the split xcb-util repositories (I made a patch
    >> for Awesome to test that  everything is fine and it seems to be).
    >>  I have  attached two  "cleanup" patches  for  xcb/util-image I'm
    >> about to push at the same time.

    Rémi Cardona>  It looks  like your  second patch  declares variables
    Rémi Cardona> after the first statement...

Yes it does but as we are using c99 and unless there is any coding style
defined somewhere  that recommend to  not do so,  this is not  an issue,
isn't it?

    >>   About GCC  warnings, I  don't  really understand  why there  is
    >>    -Wdeclaration-after-statement   in    xorg-macros.m4   because
    >>  AC_PROG_CC_C99  is  used  and  otherwise it  would  display  the
    >>  warning.  Any  idea? (I'm  Cc'ing Gaetan  as well  as he  is the
    >> maintainer of xorg-macros).

    Gaetan Nadon>   The  addition   of   AC_PROG_CC_C99  is   relatively
    Gaetan Nadon> recent. There are about 100 + modules which still have
    Gaetan Nadon>  AC_PROG_CC  in  their  configure.ac  which  overrides
    Gaetan Nadon> AC_PROG_CC_C99.  It is still useful at  the moment and
    Gaetan Nadon> it  will always be  needed for existing  tarballs, not
    Gaetan Nadon> that  it would matter  terribly as it does  not affect
    Gaetan Nadon> generated object code.

    Gaetan Nadon>  It's next  to  impossible to  "remove" anything  from
    Gaetan Nadon> CWARNFLAGS due to backward compatibility.

Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers,
--
Arnaud Fontaine