[Xcb] GSoC 2009: XKB and XI2 support

Josh Triplett josh at joshtriplett.org
Wed Jan 20 11:58:01 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:13:23AM -0500, Peter Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> >
> > I see no progress about this and I've the feeling we're going to lost Mariusz
> > work, which would really suck.
> >
> > So any update on the status of this merge ?
>
> I looked, and there was no support for any of the interesting new
> constructs in the libxcb part of the GSOC work. What was there broke
> xproto.c generation.
>
> I have a hard time merging just the protocol bits if libxcb can't read
> them, so I put that on hold until I find time (ha!) to design what the
> libxcb interface should look like, and write a libxcb generator to
> generate it.
>
> If we (as a project) are fine with protocol bits existing before
> libxcb can do anything useful with them, I can go ahead and push. But
> I have a sinking suspicion that we might want to rev the protocol
> definition when we get a better idea of what libxcb wants from it.

I agree with Peter's analysis here.  I really think we should not have
protocol definition changes without implementation in at least one
engine, ideally libxcb.

That said, we really do need XKB and XI2 support, and Mariusz provided
protocol definition changes which support those, a challenging problem
indeed.  We do not want to lose track of that work.

- Josh Triplett