[Xcb] X.Org app dependencies on xcb-util libraries

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Jun 24 10:17:50 PDT 2010

Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24 2010, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
>> One question remaining before I push my xwininfo port to xcb - are we okay
>> with stable bits of the X.Org katamari depending on the unstable libraries
>> from xcb-utils?   This uses xcb-event & xcb-icccm - obviously both could be
>> replaced by inlining the necessary support, but code duplication kills
>> maintainers, so it's not my preferred solution.   (I have even been wondering
>> if the multiple copies of "dsimple.c" in the apps should be replaced by a new
>> library, but don't have that much energy/time at the moment.)
>
> xcb-icccm should be stable now, I don't think it will change anytime
> soon.
> Not so sure about xcb-event tho, I can't recall what was the final
> decision about it, but IIRC, that my point of view was DIE DIE DIE,
> except for the some #define that should be in XCB itself.

In xwininfo I'm using the XCB_EVENT_MASK_* values for the code to lookup
the event mask settings for xwininfo -events and the
xcb_event_get_error_label & xcb_event_get_request_label helpers for printing
messages from my error handler.

Presumably XCB_EVENT_MASK_* would fall in the category of defines that should
live in the main xcb headers for the core X protocol.

Is there any other way to lookup the names of requests & errors?   Those
should be included in the xml files for the protocol - do they get recorded
in the library in any way?

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com