[Xcb] Setting the WM_TRANSIENT_FOR property on a window

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Mon Mar 22 08:26:49 PDT 2010

On 2010-03-22 11:16, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

>     > Mikhail  already clarified my point  about variable-length arrays.
>     > Thanks, Mikhail.
>
> Yes,  thanks.  I  didn't know  there  was  no  way  to recover  in  such
> case... Maybe, it's better to use alloca() then.

No, alloca is just as bad. Most alloca implementations behave the same
way as variable-length arrays. The server moved from alloca to malloc
wholesale in 2007 because the server devs got tired of fixing alloca
related crashes one at a time.

My point is that alloca by any other name is still just as prone to
stack overflows.

> Well, I'm  thinking about leaving WM_CLASS  setter as it  is now because
> this function is not going to be called so many times usually (therefore
> this  is not  a  big overhead)  and  especially because  it's easier  to
> maintain (for now I do think  it's better to focus on maintainability as
> this library  is not widely  used yet).  I  will leave a comment  in the
> code quoting what  you said though...  If performance  really matters at
> some point, then we will simply use this solution. What do you think?

Sounds sensible.

> Might be a  silly question which has already been  discussed, but why is
> iovec needed? I have never had a deep look into core xcb code. Thanks!

iovec lets you submit many separate buffers as if they were one large
one. It is needed to avoid allocating another buffer and copying into it.

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.opentext.com/