[Xcb] GSoC 2010 - Improving input support

kmaglione at comcast.net kmaglione at comcast.net
Wed May 26 18:24:09 PDT 2010

PLEASE STOP EMAILING ME

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 18:05:59
To: Christoph Reimann<chrr at arcor.de>
Cc: <xcb at lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: [Xcb] GSoC 2010 - Improving input support

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Christoph Reimann <chrr at arcor.de> wrote:
> I just noticed that I unfortunately did not announce officially to the
> list (but only to a few people in private to whom I was in contact
> earlier) that I got the XCB GSoC this year.

Cool, congratulations!

> Currently one thing is unclear to me: In order to evaluate the bitmask
> for a <valueparam>, the value-mask-type should be taken into account.
> I will try to formulate my questions clearly first:
> 1. Are these bitmask types constrained to not exceed CARD32 (I think
> not from reading xproto)?
> 2. If not - is it safe to assume they will not exceed CARD32 anyway?

The protocol description language is an attempt to capture what people
have actually done in the X protocol. It doesn't represent rules that
limit what crazy things people might do in the future.

So no, there's no rule that value-masks can't be larger than 32
bits---but I've never seen an X extension doing that. Until one does,
we can just assume value masks are at most 32 bits.

> Also I would like to use xcb_popcount() to resolve the newly
> introduced <popcount> tag.

That makes sense, yes.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your project turns out! :-)

Jamey