[Xcb] Splitting up xcb-util repository

Vincent Torri vtorri at univ-evry.fr
Sat Sep 4 09:33:50 PDT 2010

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010, Gaetan Nadon wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-09-04 at 06:26 +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:
>

>> having an old system forbid a dev to install autoconf ? Install a
>> recent
>> version of autoconf in /usr/local, be sure that /usr/local/bin in
>> before
>> /usr/bin in PATH and that's all. It takes around 5 minutes, maybe less
>>

> I don't know if you realize the scope of the impact.

I do.

> Anyone who builds
> xorg (developers, distro builders),
> which now requires libX11 as of the upcoming 1.4, will need to install a
> package that is not
> provided through the distro.

tarballs of libxcb are sufficient for those who do not code on libxcb. The
releases are for that...

> That means it does not show up in the
> package management system
> (synaptics yum or whatever) and does not receive upgrades. This is
> completely unacceptable to
> build software. Of course, this is not an issue for developers.
>
> You might argue, as I once did, that they should only use the tarball
> and not re-create the configuration.

exactly.

> The reality is that all (I think) distros apply patches (say adding
> translation)

translation for libxcb ???

> and need to re-create the
> configuration (as I have seen in a Debian log).

anyway, that's a package maintainer problem. Debian report problems
upstream quite often in bugzilla. So again, tarballs.

> I may not do a good job of explaining the situation, as I am not a
> distro builder. Through various comments
> and posts on the list, I have come to appreciate  the challenges they
> face.

I just give my POV. I don't code (anymore) anyway on libxcb. The devs will
choose, so I won't argue again on that point.

Vincent