[Xcb] Are the util-common-m4 submodules relative on purpose?

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Wed Apr 6 17:40:08 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 19:10 +0200, Dirk Wallenstein wrote:

> I've added a section to the wiki here [1].  Attached is a x-jhbuild
> plug-in to adapt the submodules in one call.

Are you sure it is the simplest way? Cloning the repository and changing
URLs?

Consider this scenario where you want to develop a new macro to be used
by all supermodule. You develop and test the new macro in any of the
submodules (they are all identical copies). You create a patch which you
then apply to all remaining copies of the submodules and you test it
there as well. Everything has been tested everywhere.

The rest is the same, review and push the patch to the m4 module and
patch all supermodules so they point to the new m4 commit. This is what
I have done and it did not looked too complicated. There is a bit of
learning curve, but supermodules and just modules, but with a pointer to
a specific commit of another module.

The key here is that you can do the development from any copy of the
submodule and create patches and even push them from there (need to
change the url for that).

Gaetan